Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any maintenance tips to ensure the longevity of my solar energy system?
Cleaning solar panels is the only basic maintenance that helps increase their efficiency and will help with the maximum output. For Inverter it’s recommended to take assistance from the trained staff or the service provider.
How often should I clean my solar panels, and what is the best way to do it?
 It’s recommended to clean the panels weekly to get the maximum out of them, the best way to clean the panel is to clean them by pouring some water on the panels and rubbing it through a simple cloth, and washing them afterward.
Do my solar panels produce power when the sun is not shining?
The amount of power your solar energy system can generate is dependent on sunlight. As a result, your solar panels will produce slightly less energy when the weather is cloudy, and no energy at night. However, because of high electricity costs and financial incentives, solar is a smart decision even if you live in a cloudy city.
How soon will I notice a difference in my electricity bills after switching to solar energy?
 Your solar panels will start generating usable energy for your property the day they are installed. Depending on when you receive your electricity bill, you can start noticing lower bills after two months of electricity bills. 100% benefit of solar energy will be only after net-metering is done.
What happens if there is a damage to my solar panels?
There are two conditions then which are mentioned below:
-Force Majeure:
In case of any act of God that damages the Structure or the Panels or Any of the Installed equipment, it will not be covered under the Warranty Terms.
-Technical Fault:
In case panels get damaged technically which means if its internal circuit gets compromised for non-external reasons it will be claimed under OEM’s Warranty Policy.
What should I do if I notice a decrease in energy production from my solar panels?
The decrease in production could be due to clouds throughout the day or there could be some uncleaned panels or any improper grid parameters from the utility. There can be some other reasons for this and your Service Provider should be approached for its rectification.
How can I monitor the energy production and performance of my solar panels?
Amica Energy application is the best way to monitor your system’s live performance 24/7, also a system-generated email is sent to you daily that helps you to keep track of the performance of your system.
Can I transfer my solar panels to a new location if I move?
Yes, you can move the system as per your requirement but that might cost you the relocation work.
What are the product warranties?
In the solar industry, warranty type and validity vary by brand.
Tier-1 solar panels: 12-year workmanship warranty and 25 years performance warranty*
Inverters: 5-to-10-years warranty*
Tubular batteries: 6-to-12-months warranty*
* T&C applied
What should I do in case of a power outage or grid failure?
 In the case of an On-grid system, the system will remain off until the power gets restored, whereas in the hybrid system, there will be power but only on load-dependent production, for further guidance please contact Amica Energy.
How does net metering work?
Consumers generate electricity through solar and generation from this system is more than what is required by the consumer. Without net metering, this excess generation goes to the grid unaccounted for and there is no benefit to the consumer. DISCO as the electric utility installs a bidirectional meter at the consumer’s premise which can record this excess generation and gives credit to the consumer on the monthly bill.
How long does the process of a Net Metering application take?
The complete process takes around 90 days as defined in NEPRA regulations for Distributed Generation and Net Metering Regulations, 2015. However, processing time may increase in case prerequisites are not fulfilled by the vendor/consumer.
-Common reasons for Delay:
1. Incomplete Documentation
2. Discrepancy in survey
3. Sanction load or bill name change required
Can I add more solar panels to any existing system?
You will have to apply for AEDB approved vendor to DISCO Net Metering Facilitation Center for an extension of solar PV size. DISCO will evaluate the application and forward it to NEPRA for issuance of Generation License after which they may enhance the existing system. In case it is found that any consumer has enhanced the system without prior intimation and GL issuance, the consumer will be liable for discontinuation of net metering service and appropriate legal action will be taken.
How much net metering is allowed?
The total capacity of DG is restricted to a maximum of 15% of the distribution transformer capacity. This is to ensure voltage regulation in the network and will be enhanced as further network studies are completed. Net Metering connectivity exceeding 15% of the individual PMT / Feeder may only be allowed based on a detailed load flow study.
I do not have the DISCO’s bill on my name, how am I supposed to apply for net metering?
While applying for net metering, the applicant’s name on both documents i.e., form and DISCO bill should be the same. The consumer should initiate a change of name process at the concerned IBC and submit a net metering application at the facilitation center after the name on the bill is updated.
I have a negative balance on my bill, how can I claim this amount?
In case of a negative balance,
-For KE customers:
They can opt for reimbursement on three months of consecutive negative bills by sharing the electricity bill directly via email at netmetering@ke.com.pk
-For customers in other cities:
They can opt for reimbursement on three months’ consecutive bills by submitting their electricity bill at the revenue office (RO) and requesting a refund process. Cheque will be issued in the name of the customer as beneficiary.
How will I be compensated for my export i.e., unit sales to DISCO’s?
The consumer is billed for the gross unit sales by DISCO to the consumer (which is your consumption from DISCO), and all taxes, etc. are applied to this unit. The consumer sales to DISCO (which is your export) are credited to the consumer’s bill at the prevailing tariff rate. However, the following additional aspects need to be considered:
a) Sales by DISCO to the consumer: Taxes are applied to the gross units.
b) Sales by consumer to DISCO [Export]: For the export of electricity by Companies, there will be no withholding of sales tax or income tax withholding on adjustments/payments [Clause 46AA (VI) of Part IV of Second Schedule to the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001 read with Eleventh Schedule to the Sales Tax Act, 1990]. For export by consumers other than Companies, income tax withholding under Section 153(1)(a) of the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001 on adjustments/payments. No withholding of sales tax under the Eleventh Schedule to the Sales Tax Act, 1990.
c) Sales by Consumer to DISCO: If unit sales by the consumer are lower than sales by DISCO to the consumer, the same rate of consumption from DISCO will be applied to the exported amount. If unit sales by consumers are higher than sales by DISCO to the consumer. On sales over consumption units i.e., Units exported by consumers above the units consumed: Pre-determined National Average Purchase notified by NEPRA price will be applied.

Please refer to Net Metering regulations (last para of SRO 1135(I)/2018) for applicability of NAPP and NEPRA’s decision for HESCO dated June 02, 2022 (para 7.29) for NAPP of PKR 19.32/kWh.
How am I supposed to read the Net Metering bill?
The units exported by the consumer are mentioned as ‘Import Energy Off Peak’ and ‘Import Energy Peak’ and the benefit of these units is displayed in the bill calculation area as “Net Metering Benefit”
Can DISCO’s visit my premises to check my installation after net metering connection is given?
Yes. DISCOs can visit the DG after serving inspection notice to ensure system functionality as per technical standards and Generation License.